International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS) 2018
Welcome to the 2018 International Competitions and Assessments for Schools (ICAS). Your child is invited to participate in ICAS in 2018.
ICAS provides an opportunity for all students in Years 9 to 13 to gain a measure of their own achievement in an external testing situation. It provides teachers, parents and students with comprehensive reporting of results in the areas of Digital Technology, English, Mathematics, Science, and Writing.
All students receive a certificate and an individual student report indicating which questions they answered correctly and their score compared with the rest of the students tested. ICAS are an excellent preparation for national tests and the student report is useful for highlighting your child’s strengths and weaknesses. The certificate and individual student report are also suitable for your child to include in a portfolio.
Certificates are awarded for each year level as follows:
- High Distinction to the top 1% of students
- Distinction to the next 10% of students
- Credit to the next 25% of students
- Merit to the next 10% of students
- Participation to all other students
A UNSW medal is awarded when the highest score in each year level in each subject is judged to be sufficiently meritorious. The medals are presented at either a UNSW Medal Ceremony or at a school assembly. Students must sit on the official sitting dates to be eligible for a UNSW medal.
Please note that these tests are sat before school, commencing at 7.30 am on the following dates. The entry fee per student is as follows:
- Digital Technology – Tuesday 8 May 2018 (NZD9.50) – available up to Year 11
- Science – Tuesday 29 May 2018 (NZD9.50)
- Writing – Thursday 14 June 2018 (NZD20.50)
- English – Tuesday 31 July 2018 (NZD9.50)
- Mathematics – Tuesday 14 August 2018 (NZD9.50)
- All of the above (NZD$58.50)
Please return the permission slip and entry fee by: Friday 16 March 2018 so that orders can be placed.
Mr Mark Phillips